Photo: Jonathan Cooper via Unsplash
Hey y'all, it's Friday! Here in Minnesota, it's been a balmy week with lots of sunshine. VERY un-December like, eh? Here's a little list of fun things to keep your spirits sunny and warm all weekend long:
FRIDAY FAVES - 12.8.20
- Looking for an escape? Try the Unspooled podcast, hosted by comedian Paul Scheer and film critic Amy Nicholson. They go deep on each of the AFI's top 100 movies of all time. Watch along with them for a rest from reality!
- How's your loungewear game these days? Check out this exhaustive post on the best sweats across all price points. Now THAT is some 2020 gold!
- There are a LOT of crappy holiday movies out there. But! Hulu's new film, Happiest Season, is a bright and funny Christmas tale that might just renew your interest in the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (especially if you're a Dan Levy fan).
- Once you've donned your new sweats and are ready to watch that non-crappy Christmas movie, be sure to pop open a bottle of Melville Pinot Noir. It makes a...
Photo: Courtesy of Carousel & Folk
Congratulations on crushing another week! Please enjoy the following little bits of fun:
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.16.20
- Kind of obsessed with alllll of the candles at Carousel & Folk. Especially these cloud candles!
- Been trying to use this simple thought from Cup of Jo to keep anxiety at bay.
- Have you ever tried a white Pinot Noir before? Get on it! Start with this one from Left Coast Cellars.
- Artist Christine McConnell has the spookiest, kookiest Instagram account, perfect for this time of year. And she goes ALL OUT when decorating her house for Halloween!
Have a great weekend!
Photo: Leonardo Sanches via Unsplash
Every year it's a challenge: The perfect, non-cliche, not-too-sappy yet totally memorable Valentine's Day date. Phew! We got your back. Here's a quick list of unique date ideas led by some fantastic wines. Cheers to you and your sweetie!
PUZZLE IT OUT
Get analog! Because so many of us are glued to screens these days, something as simple as doing a puzzle seems suddenly kooky and new. So, do a puzzle with your boo this February 14th! There are some genuinely gorgeous puzzles out there (check out Galison for some options!) to spice things up, and puzzling offers a natural environment for alllllmost grazing the hand of your hot date as you reach for another piece. [eye flutter]
PAIR WITH: François Montand, Brut Méthode Traditionnelle Blanc de Blancs | A sneaky and sophisticated sparkling wine for thoughtful types
KICK IT AT KARAOKE
Dress up in your favorite 80s metal gear and go crush it karaoke with a bangin' duet! Karaoke is like aerobics for the soul––guaranteed to make you sweat and...
Photo: Jo Jo
Sure, you could have beer at your next barbecue. But why not play the wild card and pair your smokey outdoor eats with WINE?
Pairing wine to grilled meats and vegetables is a lot easier than you think. Just make sure neither the food nor the drink overpowers the other. So, if you've got a super savory marinated steak, you'll need a heartier wine--like a Cabernet or Zinfandel--to stand up to its big ole flavor. Similarly, try a lighter bodied wine that's full of fruit when enjoying the more delicate flavors of grilled zucchini or pork chops.
Pro tip: Try chilling light-bodied reds (Pinot Noir, Gamay, Frappato, lighter Nebbiolos) before serving them. They'll taste extra fresh and keep you cool while you man the grill.
Below are some of my favorite red wines to grill and chill with in the summertime, complete with some handy little pairing ideas:
1. Elk Cove 'Estate' Pinot Noir Rosé | Willamette Valley, Oregon
This sunset-colored rosé of Pinot Noir is all juicy, tart cherry and rose petals...