Photo: Photo via Canva
It's hot drink season! What's YOUR favorite warm beverage?
Personally, I love a cheerful mug of mulled wine. It combines the best of Fall spices with the fire and complexity of a wonderful red wine. And the clincher is that it's SO. EASY. TO. MAKE!
Below is a simple recipe for making a batch of your own mulled wine. But it's really more of a guideline. Mulled wine is highly conducive to tinkering, so make it your own.
MAKE IT YOUR OWN
- If you like a LOT of cinnamon, add a couple more sticks!
- Want to cut back on the booze? Substitute the Brandy or Port for a few glugs of apple cider or a couple tablespoons of sugar.
- Maybe you hate oranges! Instead, toss in a few sprigs of fresh rosemary or whole peppercorns for a savory vibe.
Choose a wine with a flavor profile that compliments your ingredients (warm baking spices, orange, etc.), like a Montepulciano or a dry Portuguese red. Make sure it's affordable AND delicious.
Here are a few recommendations from Sip Better:
Raise your hand if you've got Pumpkin Spice Latte fatigue!
It's Fall, and cinnamon-spiked hot drinks are prolific. But I assure you, friend, there ARE other options out there! When you've had enough of PSL fever, try some of the wines our sommelier recommends in this video. From Schiava to rosé (it's ok, it's not just for Summertime!), you might just discover a new favorite grape to keep you company the whole winter through.
Photo: Angèle Kamp via Unsplash
Hello, it's Friday! You made it! Now, behold a few of our favorite things from the week.
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.18.2020
- I have been making quiche constantly and I just learned a secret trick: Create a crispy cheese barrier to prevent soggy bottom crust!
- Chunky, ultra-cool earrings from Lets Meet Friday.
- Loving all the good, warm Fall foods paired to wine. Especially some buttery roasted sweet potatoes with a glass of this creamy De Wetshof 'Bon Vallon' Chardonnay. Oof!
- For those nights when only mac 'n' cheese will do.
- If you love scary movies or you WANT to love scary movies, you've gotta check out The Scaredy Cats Horror Show. Perfect pre-Halloween entertainment.
Enjoy the weekend!
-- Emily Rentsch