'Tis the season to feel frightened!
One of our team's favorite movie genres is Horror, so October is practically like Christmas here at Sip Better. Below, we've paired wine to a few of our favorite horror films (though it was agony trying to choose just six!). Now grab your wine, some salty snacks, and settle in with someone who will squeeze your hand during the creepy parts.
What's the '90s greatest contribution to pop culture? The Scream franchise, of course! Besides the teenage eye candy and delicious jump scares, we love that each film in the series gives dedicated space to POPCORN. In fact, if Drew Barrymore's character hadn't gotten that fateful phone call in the very first scene of the very first movie, she'd be kicking back with a perpetual bowl of buttery Jiffy Pop. Our favorite thing to drink with popcorn and a scary movie is this luscious Chardonnay laced with peach, pear, and notes of vanilla and crème brûlée. ...
Photo: via Unsplash
Happy Halloweeeeeen! Wishing you a spooky weekend and lots of fun!
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.28.22
- This podcast legitimately freaks me out. Don't listen to it alone!
> DRINK THIS: Matic Pinot Gris, orange wine from Slovenia
- And if you ever wondered how the heck Halloween came to be, check out this episode of Flightless Bird.
> DRINK THIS: Spy Valley Pinot Noir from New Zealand
- These table linens are beautiful and dramatic, perfect for wintertime dining.
> DRINK THIS: Domaine de Piaugier Côtes du Rhône Villages-Sablet from France
- On our somm's recommendation, I made a Manhattan with this rich Pedro Ximenez sherry from Spain in place of sweet vermouth and HOLY SMOKES! It rules.
> DRINK THIS: El Maestro Sierra Pedro Ximenez Sherry from Spain
- I hope these kooky toddler costumes make you smile!
> DRINK THIS: Elio Perrone 'Bigaro' from Italy
See you in November!
Photo: Nika Benedictova via Unsplash
Do you ever miss trick-or-treating? I do! What other excuse do I have to house a bowl of fun-size Snickers?
Luckily, adulthood allows for some other delicious things. Like wine! And homemade snacks that give Snickers a run for its money. Throw your own adult-friendly Halloween party this Fall with these festive food and wine pairing ideas.
CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER
DRINK: El Maestro Sierra Pedro Ximenez Sherry
This spiced sherry is light on its feet and a perfect foil for nutty and milk chocolatey treats.
APPLE, PUMPKIN, BUTTER, CINNAMON
DRINK: Jim Barry 'Wintervale' Riesling
This Riesling is both rich in honeycomb flavor and lifted with citrus and florals that compliment all things pumpkin spice and baked apple.
DARK CHOCOLATE, RED VINES
DRINK: Rob Murray Vnyds 'Force of Nature' Zinfandel
Dark red and black fruit make this Zinfandel a friend to dark chocolate treats and classic licorice.
MARSHMALLOW, NOUGAT, SALTED CARAMEL
DRINK: Elderton 'E Series' Chardonnay
A creamy, peachy Chardonnay...
Photo: Briana Tozour via Unsplash
Friday is here and Halloween is (almost) here too! Enjoy this week's list of faves, some are spookier than others!
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.29.21
- Need a little more decor for the trick-or-treaters ringing your bell this weekend? We are gushing over these Minnesota pumpkin patches. Talk about a fun way to spice things up, get out of the house and pick those perfect pumpkins with family and friends! Barten Pumpkins, Joyer Adventure Farm, and Whistling Well Farm are a couple of patches that caught our eye.
- Let's just say last week's Champagne Day is really turning into Champagne month... yours too!? Perfect. We've got the Pop, Sparkle, Fizz box ready for your unfizzled palate. Clink, clink!
- Move over caramel rolls, this Spooky Pumpkin Spiced Buns with Spiderweb Glaze recipe just may be the best way to kick off Halloween festivites.
- Prepare for a post-Halloween WINE-D down—grab the Un-WINE-d Box from our sister company, Cépage. This custom wood box is filled with all of the necesseties...
Photo: Ganapathy Kumar via Unsplash
Happy Halloweeeeeeen! We hope you've got some spooky plans for tomorrow! But for now, please enjoy this little list of things we liked this week:
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.30.20
- If you're spending Halloween night in, check out this round-up of spooky-licious cocktails.
- We're revisiting a few episodes of Stranger Things on Halloween and we're planning on using this guide for which wines to drink with the show!
- Are you a lipstick person? Then you MUST check out these gorgeous lipsticks created by makeup artist Lisa Eldridge! Here's a little line from their official description to entice you: "Each bullet has the appearance of beautifully plush velvet fabric, a ‘trompe l’oeil’ that has to be seen to be believed."
- Loving this chic way to display matches. Let the cozy candle nights begin!
- How cute are this family's group Halloween costumes?!
Have a safe weekend, friends!