Photo: Jennifer Pallian via Unsplash
I hope you're having a lovely, balmy week! We've been enjoying the sun and the following list of delightful things. Hope you enjoy it too!
FRIDAY FAVES - 3.5.21
- Two extremely good cookie recipes you should try: the New York Times' Rye Chocolate Chip Cookies and Claire Saffitz's buttery Thrice Baked Rye Cookies. Don't let the rye flour dissuade you! The results are impossibly nutty and delicious.
- Excited to try this full-body mineral peel from Org Skincare. When you can't go to a spa, get the spa delivered to you in a bottle!
- We just added an ORANGE section to our SHOP! It features six exciting skin contact wines that'll brighten your glass. And if you're curious about the term skin contact, go check out our quick primer on the subject.
- Speaking of wine curiousity, our somm, Leslee, just posted a bunch of new virtual wine classes for the spring. Tickets available here!
- Cadbury and Goose Island have teamed up to make a gooey-licious beer inspired by the creme-filled Easter...
Photo: Sharon McCutcheon via Unsplash
Right now, in June of 2020, the words skin contact might totally freak you out. Social distancing is a thing, staying extra safe is on all of our minds, and the thought of touching another human being is suddenly a frought thought indeed.
But we're not here to talk about that! On THIS blog, we're talking skin contact as it applies to wine. Wine! What a happy topic.
Soooo, what is skin contact wine, anyway?
It's super simple. Skin contact wines are white wines that are made more like red wines.
The big difference between making a white wine and a red wine lies in the fermentation process. With a white wine, the winemaker presses the grapes and then removes the pomace (all of the residual solids, like seeds, grape skins, etc.) before fermenting the juice in a tank or other vessel. When making red wine, the winemaker will allow that pomace to hang out in the fermentation vessel with the juice, giving them more time to macerate. All of those lovely seeds and skins impart several things...