Photo: Nika Benedictova via Unsplash
Do you ever miss trick-or-treating? I do! What other excuse do I have to house a bowl of fun-size Snickers?
Luckily, adulthood allows for some other delicious things. Like wine! And homemade snacks that give Snickers a run for its money. Throw your own adult-friendly Halloween party this Fall with these festive food and wine pairing ideas.
CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER
DRINK: El Maestro Sierra Pedro Ximenez Sherry
This spiced sherry is light on its feet and a perfect foil for nutty and milk chocolatey treats.
APPLE, PUMPKIN, BUTTER, CINNAMON
DRINK: Jim Barry 'Wintervale' Riesling
This Riesling is both rich in honeycomb flavor and lifted with citrus and florals that compliment all things pumpkin spice and baked apple.
DARK CHOCOLATE, RED VINES
DRINK: Rob Murray Vnyds 'Force of Nature' Zinfandel
Dark red and black fruit make this Zinfandel a friend to dark chocolate treats and classic licorice.
MARSHMALLOW, NOUGAT, SALTED CARAMEL
DRINK: Elderton 'E Series' Chardonnay
A creamy, peachy Chardonnay...
Photo: Jennifer Pallian via Unsplash
It's baking season!
Whether you get down with a little sugar and flour in your own kitchen or opt to buy a smattering of holiday cookies from a local bake shop, we don't judge. But we do HIGHLY recommend you crack open a bottle of wine when you snuggle in with your dessert plate this winter.
Pairing wine to Christmas cookies and other festive treats is as easy as any other food and drink combination. Just remember that "like goes with like" (i.e. citrusy whites with lemon pound cake) and a good bottle of sparkling wine works beautifully with most decadent treats.
Below are a few of our favorite wine and cookie pairings to get you started. Happy Holidays and merry munching!
GINGERBREAD + SPICE
Gingerbread cut-outs, Pfeffernusse (German spice cookies), ginger snaps
- Elena Walch Schiava: This light Italian red is laced with savory spice and a spot of pepper, making it the perfect compliment to warm-spiced cookies of all kinds
- Dr Konstantin Frank (Semi Dry)...
Photo: Emily Rentsch
Thanks for stopping by this Friday! We've only a few more weeks of holiday madness ahead! I hope you're finding time to rest this weekend. Now, please enjoy the following fun things:
FRIDAY FAVES - 12.17.21
- If you're a Bon Appetit loyalist, you're probably aware of these irresistably cute Pink Grapefruit Sugar Cookies. I highly recommend making them, if only to witness a toddler dousing them with fistfuls of festive sprinkles.
- Need a novel to sink into? Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts is a youthful, smart, and semi-romantic caper through the streets of Boston. If you were a fan of The Westing Game as a kid, you'll eat this up!
- Fans of Ted Lasso and his buttery biscuits should try the "official" cookie recipe here!
- Do you looooove a good Lifetime movie? Check out An Ice Wine Christmas. TRUST ME. Coming from a wine website, this endorsement means something!
- I'm not a person who wears heels, but I can't tear my eyes away from these glitzy holiday pumps.
See you next week!