Photo: Dale Gray via Unsplash
Hello, friend! I hope you're having a fantastic Friday! Make it even better by checking out this list of fun things we like this week:
FRIDAY FAVES - 6.25.21
- If you're looking for a new podcast for your commute, try the new Shattered Glass, hosted by Kristen Bell and Monica Padman. Each epsiode, Kristen and Monica interview a different woman who has played a part in cracking that dastardly glass ceiling.
- If you prefer a lighter listen, try Add To Cart, a podcast about the products and ideas that Kulap Vilaysack and SuChin Pak are putting in and taking out of their "carts" each week.
- This seems like the freshest spring side dish! Snap peas and burrata? I'm in.
- If you'd like a wine pairing for that snap pea delight (above), pop the cork on a bottle of Evolúció (dry) Furmint!
- Also, this stone fruit and burrata salad!
- Here are four books to broaden your persepective during Pride month.
- Start freezing your leftover wine! Great for sangria slushies or adding to a future sauce...
Photo: John Fowler via Unsplash
You made it through a week of 2021! Congrats. Please reward yourself with some whimsical browsing and enjoy these relaxing ideas we love:
FRIDAY FAVES - 1.8.21
- Oh hey, it's National Bubble Bath Day! Check out this list of yummy products for maximum bubbles and relaxation. And make sure to have a great beverage on hand when you soak! Might I suggest this blushing sparkling wine?
- I think I found my holy grail of skincare—Flamingo! Yes, they mostly make razors, but the company also puts out a delicious-smelling and very affordable bundle of lotions and potions that will keep you silky all winter long. I particularly love the hydrating spray.
- Have you explored the joys of snowshoeing?
- Loving the idea of an uber list in place of typical New Year's resolutions. Critic Danielle Henderson, of the film podcast I Saw What You Did, details her yearly uber list on the podcast's latest episode. (Also, this podcast is THE BEST! If you want to explore movies with two smart gals, have a...
Photo: Annie Spratt via Unsplash
- Have you ever had Rush Creek Reserve? It's an insanely gooey and earthy cheese from Uplands Cheese in Wisconsin. They only make it in the Fall, and each small wheel is wrapped in spruce bark. It makes the PERFECT appetizer (or dinner for two?) and would be great with a bottle of Loosen Bros 'Dr. L' sparkling Riesling. Mmmm!
- Some over-the-top Christmas light displays to get you in the holiday mood.
- Claire Saffitz (formerly of Bon Appétit) just debuted her new YouTube channel. Let's get bakin'!
- Are you burning your candles wrong?
- We're getting excited about all of the scrumptious take-away Christmas dinners available through local restaurants! I'm drooling over the package from Petit León. Short ribs, foie gras mousse, and apple pie? Yes, please.
- Ever wonder why Princess Diana had that very specific haircut? Me too. Here's why!
- Have you checked out our Gift Guide? Here are a few others we love: Cup of Jo, DESIGNLOVEFEST, Girls' Night In.
Photo: Angèle Kamp via Unsplash
Hello, it's Friday! You made it! Now, behold a few of our favorite things from the week.
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.18.2020
- I have been making quiche constantly and I just learned a secret trick: Create a crispy cheese barrier to prevent soggy bottom crust!
- Chunky, ultra-cool earrings from Lets Meet Friday.
- Loving all the good, warm Fall foods paired to wine. Especially some buttery roasted sweet potatoes with a glass of this creamy De Wetshof 'Bon Vallon' Chardonnay. Oof!
- For those nights when only mac 'n' cheese will do.
- If you love scary movies or you WANT to love scary movies, you've gotta check out The Scaredy Cats Horror Show. Perfect pre-Halloween entertainment.
Enjoy the weekend!
-- Emily Rentsch
Photo: Leslee Miller
One joy in the time of Corona Virus? Virtual wine classes!
Sip Better's sommelier, Leslee Miller, has been putting her wine education chops to work from the comfort of her own home. Through her consulting business, Amusée, Leslee has begun hosting live themed wine classes via Zoom, and the latest one turned into one big wine and cheese pairing party! Wine lovers from around the country tuned in on Saturday April 18th to discuss how to create a killer cheese and meat spread (see that beauty up above?), which wines to pair with which snacks, and more. I was there too! And here are three of my takeaways:
VARIETY IS KEY
Make sure your cheese(and meat) board reflects the spice of life: variety! Choose at least one cow's milk cheese (like Gruyère), one goat's milk (such as fresh chèvre), and one sheep's milk cheese (like Manchego). Not only do these different milks offer many pairing combinations and flavor profiles to explore, they also ensure that most of your dining mates will find...