Photo: via Unsplash
Happy Halloweeeeeen! Wishing you a spooky weekend and lots of fun!
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.28.22
- This podcast legitimately freaks me out. Don't listen to it alone!
> DRINK THIS: Matic Pinot Gris, orange wine from Slovenia
- And if you ever wondered how the heck Halloween came to be, check out this episode of Flightless Bird.
> DRINK THIS: Spy Valley Pinot Noir from New Zealand
- These table linens are beautiful and dramatic, perfect for wintertime dining.
> DRINK THIS: Domaine de Piaugier Côtes du Rhône Villages-Sablet from France
- On our somm's recommendation, I made a Manhattan with this rich Pedro Ximenez sherry from Spain in place of sweet vermouth and HOLY SMOKES! It rules.
> DRINK THIS: El Maestro Sierra Pedro Ximenez Sherry from Spain
- I hope these kooky toddler costumes make you smile!
> DRINK THIS: Elio Perrone 'Bigaro' from Italy
See you in November!
Photo: Hansjorg Keller via Unsplash
Hello hello! Thanks for stopping by the blog! Please enjoy some of our favorite things on the internet this week, and have a lovely, orange-y Fall weekend.
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.21.22
- Why do I love Quarantine Kermi so much?!
- If you're looking for an alternative to the spooky snacks and drinks of the season, might I suggest orange wine?
- Who's up for a little self-care Target run? We've all done it!
- Cup of Jo's Fall favorites lists are the BEST.
- How's this for an inspiring movie?: In Blind Ambition, four Zimbabwean friends (and immigrants to South Africa) become sommeliers and make an inspiring journey to the World Wine Tasting Championship in Burgundy. And it's a true story! I'm IN.
Photo: Sip Better wine shop
It's the last day of September! How's your Fall feeling so far? We're loving that special golden afternoon light that accompanies the change in seasons. Have a great weekend and enjoy this little list of fun things!
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.30.22
- I want every one of these tropical fruit-shaped plates. The dragonfruit one is particularly gorgeous.
> DRINK THIS: Bilo Idro 'Marina Cuvée' from Dalmatia, Croatia
- You already know this by now, but Lizzo played a historical crystal flute from the Library of Congress! Now that's the kind of story I want to see on my newsfeed.
> DRINK THIS: Matic 'Mea' Blaufränkisch Pet Nat Rosé from Slovenia
- "The Science Behind Nonalcoholic Wine," from the Smithsonian Magazine.
> DRINK THIS: Giesen (0% alcohol) Sauvignon Blanc
- A guide to Fall-scented candles, broken down by price. That Charcoal Candle from Apotheke sounds luxurious.
> DRINK THIS: Birichino 'Saint Georges Old Vines' Zinfandel from California
- Are you getting into Pickleball like the rest of the...
Photo: Dimitri Jablokov via Unsplash
Happy Fall, y'all! Please enjoy some of our favorite internet finds this week, plus wine pairings to drink with them.
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.23.22
- Okay, this Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese is absolutely going on my to-make list. It's going to ROCK alongside a creamy but bright and minerally Chardonnay (see below).
> DRINK THIS: De Wetshof Estate 'Bon Vallon' Chardonnay
- Temps are dropping, friends! Get cozy with our somm-selected wines for Fall.
- Fred Franzia has passed away at age 79. Wine Enthusiast does a deep dive on the man's impact on bargain wines.
> DRINK THIS: Left Coast Cellars White Pinot Noir
- Need a great book recommendation for the winter months ahead? I love this Cup of Jo post calling for readers' top three books!
> DRINK THIS: Paolo Scavino Nebbiolo
- A great little guide for how to change your skincare routine for Fall and Winter.
> DRINK THIS: J. Bouchon 'Paîs Viejo'
- We've got our eyes on Minnesota's Fall Colors Finder! Where are you planning on peeping the leaves...
Photo: Svitlana via Unsplash
Welcome back! I hope your day is sunny and bright! Here are a few things we discovered on the internet this week, plus a wine pairing for each one.
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.16.22
- These punch needle kits look like a cozy Fall activity! Add a fireplace and some wine? *chef's kiss*
> DRINK THIS: Viña Cobos 'Felino' Cabernet from Argentina
- A 95-year-old artist finds his muse among the pastries.
> DRINK THIS: Domaine J. Laurens 'La Rose No. 7' sparkling wine
- If you're in the South Minneapolis area, check out Alma Provisions! It's a teeny tiny outpost of one of the city's best and established restaurants. Pop in for pastries, sandwiches, bespoke apothecary items and gorgeous home goods.
> DRINK THIS: Domaine des Cognettes Muscadet-Sèvre et Maine 'Selection'
- A fascinating article on what it's like to go to trash collector school. Seriously!
> DRINK THIS: Alloy Wine Works 'Antipasto' wine in a can!
- Making wine in a California heat wave. Yeesh!
> DRINK THIS: Lioco 'Sonoma County' Chardonnay