Photo: Emily Rentsch
You know that cold, gray period of time that drags on between Valentine's Day and summertime fun? That's Girl Scout cookie season! Cookies make a long winter much brighter, and if you add wine into the mix? Life is good.
We paired wine to five classic Girl Scout cookies, including their newest one, the Adventureful. Enjoy!
This delicately crunchy biscuit is frosted with the thinnest slip of zesty lemon glaze. So happy and bright! Pair it to Foris Moscato, a wickedly fresh and bright Oregon white with major key lime pie vibes. And it's only 7% alcohol!
Ahh, Thin Mints! Is there anyone out there who doesn't crave this cookie?! Devour a sleeve of them with the Clément et Florian Berthier Coteaux du Giennois, an Old World Sauvignon Blanc with lovely acidity and notes of grapefruit, white pepper, and—of course—mint.
The new Girl Scout cookie, the...
Photo: Jennifer Pallian via Unsplash
It's baking season!
Whether you get down with a little sugar and flour in your own kitchen or opt to buy a smattering of holiday cookies from a local bake shop, we don't judge. But we do HIGHLY recommend you crack open a bottle of wine when you snuggle in with your dessert plate this winter.
Pairing wine to Christmas cookies and other festive treats is as easy as any other food and drink combination. Just remember that "like goes with like" (i.e. citrusy whites with lemon pound cake) and a good bottle of sparkling wine works beautifully with most decadent treats.
Below are a few of our favorite wine and cookie pairings to get you started. Happy Holidays and merry munching!
GINGERBREAD + SPICE
Gingerbread cut-outs, Pfeffernusse (German spice cookies), ginger snaps
- Elena Walch Schiava: This light Italian red is laced with savory spice and a spot of pepper, making it the perfect compliment to warm-spiced cookies of all kinds
- Dr Konstantin Frank (Semi Dry)...
Photo: Emily Rentsch
It's Friday, kids! We've been savoring sweets and feeling our civic duty over here at Sip Better. Read on for more fun things!
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.23.20
- We plan on celebrating voting early by mail (and the near end of this dang election!) with a glass of bubbly. Now THAT is what I call civic duty! Need a bubbly recommendation? We've got loads!
- Just got my copy of Dessert Person (pictured above) by Claire Saffitz, and boy does it shine! I spent last night flipping through it with a glass of Alvaro Palacios 'Camins del Priorat' and now I can't wait to make everything inside its pretty pages.
- Anne Hathaway stars in a lush and looney remake of "The Witches" (now streaming on HBO Max) and we are all in!
- Accidentally Wes Anderson (an Instagram account and book) is pure whimsy! Check it out when you're feeling blah.
- What if you were accidentally served a $2,000 bottle of wine?!
- I've been on a years long hunt for the best slippers and I think I've finally found them: Glerups! These...